5 Tips to Succeed as a Black Women in the Workplace
1. Dress to Kill but don’t overkill. I’m currently a home-based employee therefore I don’t have to put on any clothes have the time but when I do I make sure I’m not walking into the workplace looking like Saturday night. Leave your 6 inch pumps for your night and weekend life. I’m not subjecting you to a kitten heel either. Just be cautious of the height and lose the leggings paired with t-shirts and blouses stopping above your butt.
2. Lose the attitude. Society loves to shame black women for having an ugly attitude, so it’s your job to change people’s perception of you effortlessly. I see so many women who go to work just for the check. They aren’t forming career paths for themselves, they show such lazy attitudes and it effects the employees around them. You are that diamond in the rough. Don’t allow their negative attitudes to rub off on you. Do what you need to do to get where you want to go. Shine.
3. Speak up! No matter what position you were originally hired for, make sure you learn to work smart and not work too hard. Engage in as many trainings and special projects that are available to you. Speak with your manager and/or career counselor and create an action plan for yourself. Always put yourself in a position where higher authority can see you working “hard” and taking that extra mile.
4. Everybody isn’t your friend. I remember when I first began working for my current company. Within the first two weeks of training I started to see cliques form. People would invite me out to lunch with them and don’t get me wrong, I’m not an anti-social person by far, I’m on speaking terms with many, however you would never be able to associate me with any clique in the building.
5. Handle you social media accordingly. Firstly, you do not need to be Facebook Friends with your boss. Pick and choose wisely on who you invite into your life outside of the workplace (This rule refers to #4 as well). Lastly, remember that at the end of the day you’re an adult, respect yourself and create a social brand that you will be forever proud of..